Greater Sudbury police lifted the shelter-in-place in Capreol at 7 a.m. Wednesday morning after an 18-hour standoff.

Now that the threat is gone, police are releasing details about what happened.
UPDATE - individual has been taken into custody. The shelter in place is lifted. Patrol officers will clear the outer perimeter and roads will be open shortly. We would like to thank the community of Capreol for your cooperation and patience. Media release to be issued shortly https://t.co/uGQRHOhSTG
— Sudbury Police (@SudburyPolice) April 2, 2025
It started when firefighters were called to a structure fire at the home on Hanna Avenue just before 11 a.m. Tuesday.

“Fire services arrived on scene to extinguish the fire, and an individual became aggressive with firefighters,” Sudbury police said in a news release Wednesday morning after the suspect was arrested.
“The individual then barricaded himself inside the residence prior to police arrival.”
Emergency response unit officers were called to the scene, but the man was uncooperative when they tried to talk to him.

“The individual discharged a firearm at the officers. As a result, residents in proximity to the residence were asked to shelter in place,” police said.
He was inside the home when police said he shot a gun at officers who were outside the home.
“The biggest concern was the individual was erratic and aggressive and we knew that he was armed with a firearm and at that point he had fired the firearm at officers which gave us great concern for public safety and as well as officer safety,” police spokesperson Kaitlyn Dunn told CTV News Sudbury reporter Alana Everson in an interview Wednesday afternoon.
“This was a significant response. It was a full call out for our emergency response unit and it took a number of officers from patrol operations as well as other specialty units in order to close down the roadways to ensure public safety because we didn’t want motorists or pedestrians in the area just to allow the officers to focus their attention on the incident at hand.”

The quiet residential street lined with brick homes was closed to both vehicles and pedestrians between Maple Boulevard and Shaw Street overnight.
One woman who said she lives near the scene said on social media Wednesday morning that she and her husband had been in the basement of their home without food since 1 p.m.
“We slept on cold cement floor all night (with) dogs who are shaking because they need to go outside so bad,” Chantal said on X.
We slept on cold cement floor all night whit dogs who are shaking because they need to go outside so bad. This is cruel for our entire neighborhood!!!
— Chantal, PSW (She/Her/Elle) (@ChantalsBack) April 2, 2025
Officers entered the home and found the suspect around 5 a.m.
After nearly two hours of negotiation inside the residence, the 36-year-old man was taken into custody.

He has been charged with “numerous firearm-related offences and unlawfully in a dwelling.”
The accused is scheduled to attend bail court Wednesday to answer to the charges.
“Detectives from the major crime section of our criminal investigation division have been granted a search warrant for the residence,” police said.

“Detectives will remain on scene to execute the search warrant.”