A policy change that would have ended food supplies to non-inpatient hospital areas in Alberta, including clinics where children receive cancer treatment, was cancelled by Alberta Health Services following public outcry.
However, Premier Danielle Smith now says the change is only on pause, prompting confusion among families.
- Sign up for breaking news alerts from CTV News, right at your fingertips
- The information you need to know, sent directly to you: Download the CTV News App
The policy, outlined in a March 17 memo to Alberta Health Services (AHS) leadership, stated that beginning April 1, food would no longer be supplied to non-inpatient areas such as diagnostic imaging, IV clinics and outpatient cancer care.
The memo also advised that hypoglycemia kits would no longer be provided and that patients should be encouraged to bring their own snacks or money for food purchases.
Amanda Moppet-Beatch, whose son receives cancer treatment at the Alberta Children’s Hospital, says hospital staff were clearly distressed when informing patients of the pending change.
“You could tell that the nurses were just quite in shock,” she said. “Sometimes treatments go longer than expected”
Moppet-Beatch says the proposed change would have increased stress for families already managing medical routines and is relieved it’s not being implemented.
“Just knowing that that’s not something we have to remember, that’s a huge relief.”
Outpouring of support online
Moppet-Beatch said she posted on social media about the issue and was surprised by the response.
“I’m astounded by the support… hearing the strong response, and now, if this has officially been retracted and cancelled… it’s just like a wave of relief,” she said.
“We admittedly can barely stand on our own some days… so I am just so grateful.”
On Monday, Health Minister Adriana LaGrange responded to questions from CTV News about the memo by saying the public was misinterpreting the policy.
“What AHS had proposed was to streamline their processes… where it’s medically required, where individuals are having surgery, particularly young children, absolutely they will be getting those popsicles, or whatever else they require,” she said.
“In no way, at least from my understanding… was there to be any effect on someone who has cancer.”
When presented with a parent’s claim that they had been told ginger ale for her child after a lumbar puncture was no longer going to be provided, LaGrange replied, “My understanding was that that was not supposed to happen, and if that is happening, I will certainly look into it.
“Of course, we want our children to be looked after… If something is different, I will absolutely make sure we clarify it.”
AHS cancels the policy change
On Tuesday, AHS interim CEO Andre Tremblay released a statement saying the organization would not implement the changes.
“After feedback from clinicians, I have decided that AHS will not move forward with these changes,” Tremblay said.
“We are concerned by the misinterpretation of this proposed policy and are looking into reports that food and drink may not have been available to patients.”
But, during a news conference on Tuesday, Premier Danielle Smith gave a different explanation, and hinted the policy still may be enacted by referring to it as “a pause,” rather than an outright cancellation.
“Their intention was to change food delivery so that they could reduce any potential spoilage and waste, which makes sense,” Smith said.
“But somehow that got implemented in a way that was not consistent with what the policy was… the new CEO said he is putting a pause on the policy.”
Smith added, “The intention was never to deny patients sustenance… So it was a misapplication and a misinterpretation of a policy direction that’s since been paused.”
While the future of the proposed changes remains uncertain, Moppet-Beatch said she remains thankful to the people who spoke out.
“It shows the strength, right? That when people come together… it just helps us feel a little stronger,” she said.