Most of what was once one of the largest indoor rinks in the Maritimes will soon be demolished.
The City of Moncton in New Brunswick has been gifted the ruins of the former Sunny Brae Arena from two landowners.
City councillors voted in favour of accepting what’s left of the concrete structure on Donald Avenue during a council meeting on Monday.
Sections of the ruins that have been deemed unsafe will be demolished and removed.

City of Moncton spokesperson Aloma Jardine said it’s not clear when the demolition will take place.
Jardine said the next step is to add fencing around the site.
“That should happen in the next month or so,” said Jardine in an email to CTV News.
A west-facing section of the ruins that are between 25 to 30-feet high will be preserved if possible.

The property surrounding the area will be used to build a trail and boardwalk by the city.
The structure and property had been for sale for years, but with no takers.
It was built in 1921 by Robert Donald, a local contractor, and was a big attraction for skaters, hockey teams and summertime concerts.
Fire destroyed the arena in 1928, and it’s laid in ruin ever since.
In late 2022, City of Moncton Heritage and Cultural Coordinator Lawren Campbell spoke about its significance and history to CTV News.

“It’s so unique looking and it inspires that Roman amphitheatre kind of feeling to it, which was some of the inspiration when it was built,” said Campbell. “The fact that it’s still up, 100 years, and it’s ruins, really has that ancient, mystical kind of visual and atmosphere to it.”
The circular rink originally had a conical roof.
Big band leader John Phillip Sousa played in front of 2,000 people inside the rink and to thousands more outside in 1926.
“It was like the Rolling Stones coming to Moncton,” said Campbell.
For more New Brunswick news, visit our dedicated provincial page.